Biyernes, Marso 4, 2016

The Struggle of Breastfeeding in Public


Hashtag blessed/blessing, #blessed #blessing I'm pregnant! yey! It’s all over my newsfeed in my facebook, in my Instagram, twitter and even Tumblr. Posted it together with the first ultrasound even if others may not understand what the tiny thing is, it may look like a bean or a tiny sac of a baby cocoon but who cares, you’re excited and you wanted the whole world to know you’re having a baby.

And for the next nine months your news feed summarizes your walkthrough or more of your excitement to motherhood. And after nine months the real dilemma begins, although of course you wouldn’t want to admit it and won’t post it on your social media mediums. You will post instead the joy, the tiny details of having a bundle of joy even changing the diaper seems so much fun as you post them, but is that really the case? :)


Having a child is one thing but it comes with not only pure joy but pure struggles as well. You heart is no longer inside your body, it is out in the open where you can see, hold and put 101% care for it. However all the struggles can outweigh the joy with just a simple smile, a kiss or a just a giggle that comes out from your tiny heart. And speaking of struggle, my tiny heart is now a little bit fuzzy, hungry I guess. Now that is where my problem begins when I’m out I can’t seem to find a place where I can breastfeed and not see that tiny peep from people who maybe haven’t had a taste of milk from their mother, a little bit curious or maybe they want some milk too. :)

You might be curious as to why I do not just opt to buy a breast pump so I can just fill her little tummy every time she gets fussy. Well, I just bought one yesterday so I will update this blog as soon as I’ve tested using one. Anyhow, I just want to share the experiences I have without having one.



Why would I even want to suggest to eat outside when I know what will happen when the little girl started to get grumpy? Oh, it’s as simple as I wouldn’t want to get bored with just staying inside the house and or because I wanted to see the other world too. But ei is it too much to ask to have just one decent meal, well I can have one if she’s asleep. Now where and how can I feed her without as much as attracting attention from the people inside the restaurant. I always bring with me a long scarf to cover me a bit easier every time I breastfed. It is a bit convenient for me rather than the ponchos or the blanket since I can move easily and I can feed the little one while enjoying my meal. One friendly room I can go to and oh boy it’s taking me as much as half hour inside is the comfort room. I’m not alone in this, I know this struggle is the same as the moms out there, just to be discreet, I just go to the happy room and feed the baby until she had her fill.


What is the baby doing in the mall? Well, what’s the use of those pretty and matching infant clothes they gave or you bought if you won’t display it in public huh! :) As I’ve said I pretty much get bored just bundled inside the house so from time to time I also go out and catch up with some things. The only problem while in the mall is the location of the breastfeeding station. What I do as soon as I get to a certain mall is to ask which floor the station is located. Some malls have a station where you can easily feed your little one and a bonus, you get to mingle with some moms who happen to be there as well. It’s as if you know each other very well, you speak the same language and no shyness or whatsoever while feeding you baby.

Having a bundle while waiting for a cab have a little advantage since you are the priority even if there’s a long queue and while inside the cab, shawl/scarf works for me but then if the little girl is all fussy, it might fall all over and oh what a sight! I guess there’s nobody looking anyway otherwise we might be in a hospital bed right now, the cab driver should be alert and eyes on the road at all times, right?

Having a baby is not a hindrance in retaining your social life, you can still be sociable by adjusting your lifestyle and by looking for some ways on how to work it out on the runway. I can still go out and have fun while tagging the baby, I can’t leave her alone anyway, she’s my heart out in the open. Hashtag blessed, shopping with my baby, #blessed #shoppingwithmybaby smile!

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento